Tuesday, September 30, 2008

More about contentment

The Apostle Paul had some things to say about contentment...
I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:10-13

In this passage, Paul is thanking the Philippians for gifts they had given him. He was not trying to get them to give him more gifts.

Discussion questions
  • Twice in this passage, Paul says "I have learned..." Do you think that contentment comes naturally?
  • Have you ever felt that you were "in need" or that you had "plenty?" What does that mean?
  • Have you ever felt "well fed" or hungry? What does that mean?
  • Paul knew how to be content in all of these circumstances. Do you think you could be content too?
  • What was the secret of Paul's contentment?
Let's look at a little more of what Paul said about contentment...
But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that.
1 Timothy 6:8
And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.
2 Corinthians 9:8
Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you "
Hebrews 13:5
I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me faithful, appointing me to his service.
1 Timothy 1:12

No comments: