Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Don't get your eyes pecked out!

Don't get your eyes pecked out! How's that for a title for tonight's Bible study? The Proverb we look at today gives us an idea of how much God wants children to respect and obey their parents.

Some make fun of their fathers. Others laugh about obeying their mothers. The ravens of the valley will peck their eyes out. Then the vultures will eat them.

Proverbs 30:17

Discussion

  • Let's kind of work this proverb backwards. Vultures are known for eating the bodies of dead animals. Not a pretty thought is it?
  • Ravens pecking your eyes out... that's not a pretty thought either. I would certainly hate for that to happen to me.
  • Is this really going to happen to the people described in this proverb? Maybe so, maybe not.
  • If I were to tell you "the chili that I ate for dinner was so spicy that it felt like my tongue was on fire" would you know what I meant?
    • Do you think my tongue might have really been on fire?
    • Do you think my tongue has ever really been on fire?
    • Do you think that I meant that the chili was really, really, really spicy?
    • By saying "it felt like my tongue was on fire" it vividly describes how spicy I thought the chili was
  • In the same way, I think the last part of this proverb describes how much God hates the actions of those described in the first part of this proverb.
  • So what was it they are guilty of in the first part of the proverb?
    • making fun of their fathers
    • not obeying their mothers
  • In other words, they were not honoring, respecting, and obeying their parents!
  • Does God think it is important that you honor, respect, and obey your parents?
  • Didn't God make honoring your parents one of the Ten Commandments?
  • Do you think God likes it when you don't obey or complain or don't listen to your parents?
  • Do you want to do better at honoring, respecting, and obeying your parents?
  • As we pray, maybe you can ask God to help you in that.

No comments: