Thursday, November 6, 2008

Ayin

As we continue our journey through Psalm 119, we come to Ayin the next letter of the Hebrew alphabet. The theme I want to touch on today is this: When faced with multiple paths, hate the wrong ones. In light of what we read yesterday about people who stray from the path and the day before about how God's word is a light to our path, we know the importance of the right path. But sometimes we are tempted by other paths that may not be the right path. So, let's read.

121 I have done what is righteous and just; do not leave me to my oppressors.

122 Ensure your servant's well-being; let not the arrogant oppress me.

123 My eyes fail, looking for your salvation, looking for your righteous promise.

124 Deal with your servant according to your love and teach me your decrees.

125 I am your servant; give me discernment that I may understand your statutes.

126 It is time for you to act, O LORD; your law is being broken.

127 Because I love your commands more than gold, more than pure gold,

128 and because I consider all your precepts right, I hate every wrong path.

Psalm 119:121-128

Discussion Questions

  • Before we look at how the Psalmist hates the wrong paths, we need to see where he is first.
  • He is living a "good" life
    • doing what is righteous and just (v. 121)
    • serving God (v. 125)
    • wanting to understand God's laws (v. 125)
  • He is looking to God
    • looking for God's salvation and promise (v. 123)
    • looking for God to respond to bad people(v. 126)
  • He is motivated by God's word
    • He loves God's commands (v. 127)
    • God's word is valuable to Him (v. 127)
    • He considers God's word right - as in the right path, a straight, level path
  • As a result of living a life obedient to God, looking to God, and realizing that God's word points to the right path, he hates the wrong paths. It is important to note:
    • Hate - literally means to hate. Not "not like as much as the other" and not "slightly dislike" and not "dislike", but hate!
    • wrong - translated elsewhere as false meaning a lie, deception, disappointment, falsehood
    • path - way, path, road, passing of life, way of living

No comments: