Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Taw

We come now to Taw the last letter in the acrostic in Psalm 119. We've learned a lot about God's Word by reading His Word. We'll review some of what we learned the rest of the week, but today let's look at some of the psalmist's closing thoughts.

169 May my cry come before you, O LORD; give me understanding according to your word.

170 May my supplication come before you; deliver me according to your promise.

171 May my lips overflow with praise, for you teach me your decrees.

172 May my tongue sing of your word, for all your commands are righteous.

173 May your hand be ready to help me, for I have chosen your precepts.

174 I long for your salvation, O LORD, and your law is my delight.

175 Let me live that I may praise you, and may your laws sustain me.

176 I have strayed like a lost sheep. Seek your servant, for I have not forgotten your commands.

Psalm 119:169-176

Discussion Questions

  • What are some of his closing thoughts?
    • He wants understanding (v. 169)
    • He humbles himself before God (supplication) (v. 170)
    • He praises God (v. 171)
    • He sings of God's word (v. 172)
    • He has chosen God (v. 173)
    • He delights in the law (v. 174)

Let's look at one of Jesus' parables:

12"What do you think? If a man owns a hundred sheep, and one of them wanders away, will he not leave the ninety-nine on the hills and go to look for the one that wandered off? 13And if he finds it, I tell you the truth, he is happier about that one sheep than about the ninety-nine that did not wander off. 14In the same way your Father in heaven is not willing that any of these little ones should be lost.

Matthew 18:12-14

  • He's a lost sheep who hasn't forgotten God's word. (v. 176) Will God take him back?

Now let's look at a passage in Romans.

Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship.

Romans 12:1

  • The Psalmist wants his life to praise God. In Romans our lives are supposed to worship God. Should our attitude be like the psalmists?
  • How do we know we can do this? His word sustains us.
  • Food also sustains us. But what must we do for it to sustain us? Eat it
  • Can we just eat once and that will be enough? No, we must eat multiple times every day.
  • Should we then read God's Word every day?

No comments: