Monday, November 10, 2008

Pe

As we continue our journey through Psalm 119, we come to the Hebrew letter Pe. Here, we readed about how God's word is to be greatly desired. Can you remember the feeling on Christmas morning or your birthday when you are about to open a present? Can you recall the excitement as you start to rip away the paper and try and figure out what the present is? This is how the psalmist feels about God's word. Let's read!

129 Your statutes are wonderful; therefore I obey them.

130 The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple.

131 I open my mouth and pant, longing for your commands.

132 Turn to me and have mercy on me, as you always do to those who love your name.

133 Direct my footsteps according to your word; let no sin rule over me.

134 Redeem me from the oppression of men, that I may obey your precepts.

135 Make your face shine upon your servant and teach me your decrees.

136 Streams of tears flow from my eyes, for your law is not obeyed.

Psalm 119:128-136

Discussion Questions

  • What is the best gift you ever got? Did you know what it was beforehand?
  • What did you think about that gift? Was it bad, okay, or wonderful?
  • How did the psalmist feel about God's word? (v. 129)
  • How did you feel as you were unwrapping this gift?
  • The psalmist talks about the unfolding of God's word. This means opening up of or beginning to understand God's word. Do you think he was excited by it? (v. 130)
  • Reading verse 131, how do you think the Psalmist felt about God's word? Bored, sad, exicted? Why?
  • If we can agree that the Psalmist thought God's word was a wonderful gift (that keeps on giving!) what are some of the things he did as a response?
    • he obeyed (v. 129, 134)
    • he followed the right path (v. 130)
    • he learned (v. 135)
    • he was saddened when people disobeyed (v.136)

No comments: