Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Qoph

Today we come to qoph in our journey through Psalm 119. The theme that I want to look at today is that when we call out for help, we can put our hope in God's word. So, let's read!

145 I call with all my heart; answer me, O LORD, and I will obey your decrees.

146 I call out to you; save me and I will keep your statutes.

147 I rise before dawn and cry for help; I have put my hope in your word.

148 My eyes stay open through the watches of the night, that I may meditate on your promises.

149 Hear my voice in accordance with your love; preserve my life, O LORD, according to your laws.

150 Those who devise wicked schemes are near, but they are far from your law.

151 Yet you are near, O LORD, and all your commands are true.

152 Long ago I learned from your statutes that you established them to last forever.

Psalm 119:145-152

Discussion Questions

  • The psalmist is calling out for help. To whom?
  • The first two verses may sound a little different from what we've read before. But really they are not. The psalmist isn't really saying that he expects God to answer and then after God has answered he will obey. Rather, he is saying that he expects God to answer and while he is still waiting for the answer, he will obey. (v. 145-146)
  • How urgent is his cry for help? Urgent enough, that he's getting up early to cry for help (v. 147)
  • In what is he placing his hope (a wish and expecting the wish will be fulfilled)? God's word (v. 147)
  • How important is it to the psalmist to focus on God's word? He is staying up all night meditating on God's word (v. 148)
  • Who is it that is causing him to cry out for help? those who devise wicked schemes (v. 150)
  • How is he comforted?
    • God is near (v. 151)
    • God's word is true (v. 151)
    • He has learned from God's loaw (v. 152)
    • He knows that God's laws will last forever (v. 152)

No comments: