Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Samekh

Do you sometimes get frustrated with the people around you? Do you find that people do things that you don't like or don't want them to do? Do you sometimes see people doing things that are wrong? How should you react? What does the Bible say about how we should react? As we get to the next section of Psalm 119 for the Hebrew letter samekh we find the Psalmist talking about how he wants to deal with bad people around him. Let's read!

113 I hate double-minded men, but I love your law.

114 You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word.

115 Away from me, you evildoers, that I may keep the commands of my God!

116 Sustain me according to your promise, and I will live; do not let my hopes be dashed.

117 Uphold me, and I will be delivered; I will always have regard for your decrees.

118 You reject all who stray from your decrees, for their deceitfulness is in vain.

119 All the wicked of the earth you discard like dross; therefore I love your statutes.

120 My flesh trembles in fear of you; I stand in awe of your laws.

Psalm 119:113-120

Discussion Questions

  • We see different people referred to in this passage. What do some of these mean?
    • double-minded men - this implies evil, false, useless, lying men
    • evildoers - this implies spoiled, rotten, good for nothing, bad people who harm others
    • those who stray from God's decrees - are people who make a mistake and lies and deception take them away from the God's path
    • the wicked - people who are morally wrong, actively (not just occasionally) bad
  • What does the Psalmist say in response to these people?
    • He loves God's law
    • He puts his hope in God's word
    • He wants to keep God's commandments
    • He will have respect for God's commandments
    • He fears God
    • He stands in awe of God's laws
  • Do you remember how we defined fearing God?
  • Do you know what it means to stand in awe of God's law?

No comments: