Monday, November 17, 2008

Sin and Shin

We are almost to end of Psalm 119. It's been a long time that we've been looking at it, but it's been well worth the time that we've spent on it. Today we come to Sin and Shin. Here we read about how God's word is to be highly treasured and loved. We saw some of this last week and today we see more of how the psalmist loves God's word. Let's read.

161 Rulers persecute me without cause, but my heart trembles at your word.

162 I rejoice in your promise like one who finds great spoil.

163 I hate and abhor falsehood but I love your law.

164 Seven times a day I praise you for your righteous laws.

165 Great peace have they who love your law, and nothing can make them stumble.

166 I wait for your salvation, O LORD, and I follow your commands.

167 I obey your statutes, for I love them greatly.

168 I obey your precepts and your statutes, for all my ways are known to you.

Psalm 119:161-168

Discussion Question

  • What are some of the things we read here that tellof how the psalmist feels about God's Word? Let's look at them and you tell me what they mean...
    • My heart trembles at Your Word (v. 161)
    • I rejoice in Your promise like one who finds great spoil. (v. 162)
    • I love your law. (v. 163)
    • Seven times a day, I praise You for Your righteous laws. (v. 164)
    • Great peace for those who love Your law. (v. 165)
    • I love them greatly. (v. 167)
  • Now let's look at two of these and dig into what they are saying.
  • I rejoice in your promise like one who finds great spoil. (v. 162) He finds great spoil.
    • Do you remember in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull how excited Mac was when they found all of the treasure at the end? Mac was os enamored of th treasure that it cost him his life.
    • Can you think of a time when you found great spoil?
    • How did you feel when you got your new Bibles? Did you rejoice?
  • Seven times a day I praise you for your righteous laws. (v. 164) Seven times a day
    • Do you eat seven times a day?
    • Do you play with legos seven times a day?
    • Do you play Wii seven times a day?
    • Do you suppose this indicates the Psalmist is constantly praising God?
    • Do you suppose the psalmist really, really loves God's word?
  • Why does the psalmist say he will obey God's Word?
    • He loves it
    • All of his ways are known to God

Remember God's Word is a valuable treasure that you should love and obey. But also remember God is watching you.

No comments: