Sunday, October 19, 2008

Beth

Beth is the next letter of the Hebrew alphabet. It is also the next section of Psalm 119. It also, as does most of what we've been looking at this week, speaks of ways that God's Word is useful for us to grow closer to God.

9 How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word.

10 I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands.

11 I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.

12 Praise be to you, O LORD; teach me your decrees.

13 With my lips I recount all the laws that come from your mouth.

14 I rejoice in following your statutes as one rejoices in great riches.

15 I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways.

16 I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word.

Psalm 119:9-16

Discussion Questions

  • How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to God's word.
  • What are some of the things this passage tells us we can do to help us live by God's word?
    • Memorizing scripture - I have hidden your word in my heart
    • Learning scripture - teach me your decrees
    • Reciting scripture - With my lips I recount all the laws...
    • Gladly obeying God's law - I rejoice in following your statutes
    • Meditating/thinking about scripture - I meditate on your precepts
    • Delighting in scripture - I delight in your decrees
  • Which of these things are you doing?
  • Which of these things would you like to try more of?
  • The very last thing this section says is I will not neglect your word. Neglect means "to pay no attention or too little attention to." Do you think you pay enough attention to God's Word?
  • Would you like to pay more attention to God's word? How do you think we could do that?

No comments: