Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Teth

Today we continue on with the next letter of the Hebrew alphabet: Teth. The theme I want to look at today is how the word of God helps us grow when we are afflicted. To be afflicted means to be distressed so severely as to cause persistent suffering or anguish. The root word in Hebrew means to be brought low, humbled. In other words, something bad has happened to the Psalmist where, though his life had been good and people looked up to him and respected, he was made to be low where people looked down on him and turned away from him. Pay attention in this passage to what the word of God meant to him.

65 Do good to your servant according to your word, O LORD.

66 Teach me knowledge and good judgment, for I believe in your commands.

67 Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I obey your word.

68 You are good, and what you do is good; teach me your decrees.

69 Though the arrogant have smeared me with lies, I keep your precepts with all my heart.

70 Their hearts are callous and unfeeling, but I delight in your law.

71 It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees.

72 The law from your mouth is more precious to me than thousands of pieces of silver and gold.

Psalm 119:65-72

Discussion Questions

  • How do you think the Psalmist was afflicted? People told lies about him. (Verse 69)
  • What was his life like before he was afflicted? He didn't obey God's laws. (Verse 67)
  • As he wrote this, his affliction was probably over (although not necessarily so). What did the Psalmist think of it? It was good that he was afflicted. (Verse 71)
  • What was the benefit of his being afflicted? He learned God's laws. (Verse 71)
  • What are some things that he learned from God's law as the result of his affliction?
    • God would do good for him. (Verse 65)
    • Knowledge and good judgement (Verse 66)
    • God is good and does good (Verse 68)
  • How does he feel about God's law now?
    • He delights in it (Verse 70)
    • It is worth more to him than thousands of pieces of silver and gold (Verse 72)

No comments: