Monday, October 20, 2008

Gimel

Gimel is the next letter of the Hebrew alphabet. And so, it's where we're going today. Here in this section of Psalm 119, we see the focus shift a little bit. We read here about the Psalmist being scorned (being rejected by people) and slandered (people saying bad things about him). The focus is still on God's word and how it can help us. In this section, we see how it can help us when we have to deal with bad people in our life and when people are not saying nice things about us.

17 Do good to your servant, and I will live; I will obey your word.

18 Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law.

19 I am a stranger on earth; do not hide your commands from me.

20 My soul is consumed with longing for your laws at all times.

21 You rebuke the arrogant, who are cursed and who stray from your commands.

22 Remove from me scorn and contempt, for I keep your statutes.

23 Though rulers sit together and slander me, your servant will meditate on your decrees.

24 Your statutes are my delight; they are my counselors.

Psalm 119:17-24

Discussion questions

  • We read in this passage about good and bad being done to the Psalmist. Who is doing the good? God is.
  • What does the Psalmist expect out of God's word? Wonderful things
  • Where does the Psalmist feel his home is? heaven
  • What does the Psalmist long for? God's commands
  • What is the difference between the people who are being bad to the Psalmist and the Psalmist? they stray from God's commands, he keeps them
  • How does the Psalmist respond to the bad things being said about him? He meditates on God's word
  • In the end, why does the Psalmist delight in God's word? it is his counselor teaching him the right thing to do

No comments: