Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Yodh

We continue our journey through Psalm 119 and now we come to Yodh. Today's section continues some with the them of affliction, but expands on it to show how we can use God's word to benefit other people.

73 Your hands made me and formed me; give me understanding to learn your commands.

74 May those who fear you rejoice when they see me, for I have put my hope in your word.

75 I know, O LORD, that your laws are righteous, and in faithfulness you have afflicted me.

76 May your unfailing love be my comfort, according to your promise to your servant.

77 Let your compassion come to me that I may live, for your law is my delight.

78 May the arrogant be put to shame for wronging me without cause; but I will meditate on your precepts.

79 May those who fear you turn to me, those who understand your statutes.

80 May my heart be blameless toward your decrees, that I may not be put to shame.

Psalm 119:73-80

Discussion Questions

  • We see a little more about affliction in this section. Here, what does the Psalmist say happened? Proud people have treated him badly without any reason (Verse 78)
  • What is his response to this? Meditating on God's law (Verse 78)
  • Does he blame God for his affliction? No, he know God is being faithful (Verse 75)
  • What does he know God's word promises for his comfort and continued life? God's unfailing love and compassion (Verses 76-77)
  • Backing up a little bit, why does he want to learn God's commands? Because God created him. (Verse 73)
  • When he is around others that love God, what does he want?
    • He wants them to be joyful because his hope is in God's word (Vers 74)
    • He wants to teach them God's laws (Verse 79)
  • How does he expect to remain blameless? By following God's law (Verse 80)
  • Do you want to take what you have learned from God's word and share it with others like the Psalmist does?
  • How would you like to do so?

No comments: