Thursday, October 23, 2008

Waw

Waw (not "wow") is the next letter of the Hebrew alphabet. Like each of the sections we've read this far, we can kind of find a theme in this section. The theme I see here is how God's word helps us to live boldly. Webster.com (the online dictionary) defines bold as "fearless before danger." Do you sometimes get scared? I know that I do. But, this section of Psalm 119 reminds us that with God's word, we don't have to fear, we can live boldly!

41 May your unfailing love come to me, O LORD, your salvation according to your promise;

42 then I will answer the one who taunts me, for I trust in your word.

43 Do not snatch the word of truth from my mouth, for I have put my hope in your laws.

44 I will always obey your law, for ever and ever.

45 I will walk about in freedom, for I have sought out your precepts.

46 I will speak of your statutes before kings and will not be put to shame,

47 for I delight in your commands because I love them.

48 I lift up my hands to your commands, which I love, and I meditate on your decrees.

Psalm 119:41-48

Discussion Questions

  • In verse 41, what does the Psalmist want to come to him?
  • What was promised to him by God?
  • He writes of being taunted (insulted). Why is he not scared of this?
  • He also writes speaking before kings. Kings in his day were pretty powerful, they made the laws and would lead their armies in battle and if they wanted to have somebody punished, they could. Why is he not afraid of doing this?
  • What are some things that you're afraid of?
  • Do you think that remembering God's word can help you not to be scared of them

No comments: