Friday, October 24, 2008

Zayin

Zayin is the next letter in the Hebrew alphabet. One theme I see in this passage is finding comfort in God's word. Comfort means assistance and support or a feeling of relief or encouragement.

49 Remember your word to your servant, for you have given me hope.

50 My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life.

51 The arrogant mock me without restraint, but I do not turn from your law.

52 I remember your ancient laws, O LORD, and I find comfort in them.

53 Indignation grips me because of the wicked, who have forsaken your law.

54 Your decrees are the theme of my song wherever I lodge.

55 In the night I remember your name, O LORD, and I will keep your law.

56 This has been my practice: I obey your precepts.

Psalm 119:49-56

Discussion Questions

  • What does it mean to have hope?
  • If the Psalmist has hope, do you think that he might be lacking in something at the moment or be in a situation where he doesn't want to be?
  • Verse 50 talks about suffering. What is suffering?
  • What is the first thing he says provides him comfort?
  • In verse 52, what does he say provides him comfort?
  • Since he remembers God's ancient law, do you suppose he's read a lot of scripture and perhaps memorized scripture?
  • The last part of verse 54 in the NIrV reads "I sing about your orders" indicating that he actually sings God's word. Do you ever sing God's word?
  • Can you name some songs that you've sung where you are singing God's word?

No comments: