Monday, October 27, 2008

Heth

So we've spent some time so far looking at Psalm 119. We've seen several themes of how God's word relates to our lives. These include:

  • the word of God promotes the fear of God
  • the word of God helps us to live pure lives
  • the word of God helps us when people are doing or saying bad things to us
  • the word of God helps us when we're not happy
  • the word of God helps us focus on what God wants us to do
  • the word of God helps us to live boldly
  • the word of God gives us comfort

Heth is the next letter of the Hebrew alphabet. The theme I want to look at today is how we turn to God's word is response to what He has done for us.

57 You are my portion, O LORD; I have promised to obey your words.

58 I have sought your face with all my heart; be gracious to me according to your promise.

59 I have considered my ways and have turned my steps to your statutes.

60 I will hasten and not delay to obey your commands.

61 Though the wicked bind me with ropes, I will not forget your law.

62 At midnight I rise to give you thanks for your righteous laws.

63 I am a friend to all who fear you, to all who follow your precepts.

64 The earth is filled with your love, O LORD; teach me your decrees.

Psalms 119:57-64

Discussion Questions

  • In the NIrV, verse 57 begins "Lord, you are everything I need." What do you think that means? Everything he needs is provided by God
  • What are some things that you need? How does God provide for them?
  • Recognizing the sufficiency of God's provision for Him, how does the Psalmist respond? He promises to obey God's word.
  • In verse 59, the Psalmist has thought about the way he lives his life? What does he decide to do? Follow God's laws.
  • What else does the Psalmist say about following/obeying God's law?
    • he won't waste time and will obey quickly
    • regardless of what's happening, he won't forget to obey
    • he'll give thanks to God - even in the middle of the night
    • he'll be a friend to others who obey
    • he wants to keep learning God's law
  • What are some of the reasons he wants to do this? We've already seen one
    • God provides all he needs (verse 57)
    • God's decisions are fair (verse 62)
    • The earth is full of God's love (verse 64)

No comments: