Thursday, October 30, 2008

Kaph

As we continue our journey through Psalm 119, we come to the halfway point: the Hebrew letter Kaph. As with each section, we're looking at this section and looking into a theme in the section. This section talks about how God's word helps us in waiting.

81 My soul faints with longing for your salvation, but I have put my hope in your word.

82 My eyes fail, looking for your promise; I say, "When will you comfort me?"

83 Though I am like a wineskin in the smoke, I do not forget your decrees.

84 How long must your servant wait? When will you punish my persecutors?

85 The arrogant dig pitfalls for me, contrary to your law.

86 All your commands are trustworthy; help me, for men persecute me without cause.

87 They almost wiped me from the earth, but I have not forsaken your precepts.

88 Preserve my life according to your love, and I will obey the statutes of your mouth.

Psalm 119:81-88

Discussion Questions

  • Do you sometimes find it hard to wait?
  • The psalmist is waiting for something. What is he waiting for? salvation (from his affliction) (Verse 81)
  • Hope, we defined last week, is "wishing and expecting that wish to be fulfilled." What has the psalmist placed his home in? God's word (Verse 81)
  • Does it seem like the psalmist has waited a long time? (verses 82,83,84, 87)
  • How does he handle the waiting?
    • Remembering God's law (Verse 83)
    • Remembering God's word is trustworthy (Verse 86)
    • Not forsaking (turning away from) God's law (Verse 87)
    • Obeying God's law (Verse 88)
  • What can you do to help you wait on God?
    • Reciting scripture
    • Memorizing scripture
    • Meditating on scripture
    • Singing scripture

No comments: